How well do you know your liver?
Liver performs hundreds of chemical functions that are essential for keeping you healthy. Here are some important facts about your liver:
- Liver produces bile, which aids in the process of lipid/fat digestion
- It detoxifies blood of toxins such as alcohol and drugs. Liver filters over a liter of blood each minute!
- The organ stores minerals like iron and vitamins A, D, K and B12
- Liver makes glucose from carbohydrates. Some of the glucose is transferred to the body to be used; the rest is stored away as a reserve, until your body requires it
- It produces 80% of the ‘good’ cholesterol, which is extremely important for the body
- Liver also manufactures new proteins when there is a lack of it
- The organ is responsible for breaking down therapeutic ingredients in medicine, so that it is quickly absorbed by the body
- It has coagulation capabilities, which helps in forming blood clots to stop blood flow when injured
- It is 96% made from water
- Liver can completely regenerate itself. Even if the organ is only 25% percent functional, it can still rebuild itself into a fully functional liver