To ensure that your liver functions well, you should:
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet
- Drink plenty of water
- Exercise regularly
- Lower the consumption of caffeinated beverages
- Keep alcohol consumption to bare minimum or avoid drinking altogether
- Avoid being subjected to environment pollutants like paint thinners and pesticides
- Recreational drugs are hepatotoxic, so avoid them completely
- Get vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B
- Take no more than recommended dosages of medication
- Go for regular health check-ups and remember to ask for a liver function test
Certain natural foods can also contribute to the overall well-being of the liver. These include:
Garlic is known to activate liver enzymes that flush away toxins from the body.
Green leafy vegetables:
Liver loves broccoli, cabbage and Brussel sprouts! High in plant chlorophylls, green leafy vegetables are great detoxifiers. Others like chicory and bitter melon help in increasing bile production.
Turmeric is not only good for your curries! The herb, which is being researched for anti-carcinogenic properties, boosts liver detox by flushing out known dietary carcinogens.
Lemon and Lime:
Lemon and lime contain very high amounts of the vitamin C, which aids the body in synthesizing toxic material into substance that can be absorbed by water. Drinking freshly-squeezed lemon or lime juice in the morning helps stimulate the liver.
Beets and carrots:
Beets and carrots help the liver by eliminating toxins like heavy metals from the body. They are also high in plant-flavanoids and beta-carotene that improve overall health.